Thunderbird 2.x Instructions for Changing the Settings re:
-- Outgoing Mail Server Port Number
1) Open the Thunderbird email program
-- Password Authentication
-- Leaving Copies of Mail on the Server
-- Secure Email
2) In the top menu click on TOOLS
3) In the drop down menu click on ACCOUNT SETTINGS
4) The "Account Settings" window will open
5) In the left column click on the bottom option
"Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
6) On the right side select (by clicking once on) the words in the white box
They should be "[your user name] - mail.mcn.org (Default)"
7) Click on the EDIT button to the right
8) The "Server Name" must be mail.mcn.org
Check the box next to "Use name and password"
Your user name will appear in the box next to "User Name"
9) To change the Outgoing Server port number:
----- Delete the number in the box to the right of "Port:"
----- Type in 587
10) Click the OK button at the bottom of the page
11) To set Secure Email: Select "Server Settings" in the upper left column (right under your email address)
----- To the right, under "Security Settings" under "Use secure connection:" check SSL
----- Do NOT check "Use secure authentication"
----- For the Outgoing Secure Settings:
----- In the left column click on the bottom option "Outgoing Server (SMTP)"
----- On the right side select (by clicking once on) the words in the white box
----- They should be "[your user name] - mail.mcn.org (Default)"
----- Click on the EDIT button to the right
----- In the SMTP Server window that opens look down
----- under the Security and Authentication section
----- Under "Use secure connection:" check TLS
Click the OK button
12) To Hold Copies of Mail on the Server:
In the left column, at the top, under your email address click on Server Settings
---- On the right, look down the page under "Server Settings"
---- If you DON'T want to hold any mail on the server then don't check "Leave messages on server"
---- If you DO want to hold copies of your mail on the server then check "Leave messages on server"
---- Also check "For at most" and fill in the number of days you want to hold the mail (best to keep it under 14 days)
14) Click the OK button in the bottom right
You've done it. Great job!
Email Program Directory Page
or MCN Home Page