Outlook Express Instructions for Changing the Settings re:
-- Outgoing Mail Server Port Number
--- Reference to each specific topic below is in the same color as the topic above. ---
-- Password Authentication
-- Leaving Copies of Mail on the Server
-- Secure Email
1) Open Outlook Express
2) Click on TOOLS
3) In the dropdown menu choose ACCOUNTS
4) Click on the MAIL TAB
5) Under the "Account" heading click on your account name (i.e. mail.mcn.org)
Then click on the PROPERTIES button to the right
6) Click on the SERVERS Tab
"Outgoing Mail (SMTP)" must be mail.mcn.org
7) At the bottom of the screen CHECK the box before "My server requires authentication
8) Click on the SETTINGS button
9) There should be a dot next to "Use same settings as my incoming mail server"
10) Click on the OK button
11) To change your Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP server)
Click on the Advanced tab
----- To the right of "Outgoing mail (SMTP)" change 25 >> 587
12) To enable Secure Incoming Mail (SSL):
----- On the Advanced tab, under "Outgoing mail (POP3) check "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)"
The Port number can stay at 587 or whatever number you've been using.
----- Under "Incoming mail (POP3) check "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)"
The Port number should be changed to 995
13)To change your settings for holding copies of your mail on our server (SMTP server)
----- Look down to the bottom of the Advanced Tab page to "Delivery".
----- If you DON'T want to leave a copy of your mail on the server
----- then no boxes should be checked under "Delivery".
----- If you DO want to leave a copy of your mail on the server
----- then under "Delivery" check:
----- "Leave a copy of messages on server"
----- "Remove from server after [# of days] days(s). Best to keep it under 14 days.
----- Click the Apply button and then the OK button
On the next screen click the CLOSE button in the bottom right
You've done it. Great job!
Email Program Directory Page
or MCN Home Page