Apple Mail Leopard - 10.5 Instructions for Changing the Settings re:
-- Outgoing Mail Server Port Number
--- Reference to each specific topic below is in the same color as the topic above. ---
-- Password Authentication
-- Leaving Copies of Mail on the Server
-- Secure Email
1) Open the Mail program (the blue postage stamp in the Dock toolbar)
2) In the top menu, next to the black Apple, click on MAIL
3) In the dropdown menu click on PREFERENCES…
4) Click on the ACCOUNTS button
5) Select (click on) your email address in the left column
Make sure the ACCOUNT INFORMATION tab is selected
6) Look down to the bottom right of the window
7) Click on the BLUE TAB to the far right of OUTGOING MAIL SERVER
8) In the drop-down menu click on “Edit Server List”
9) In the new window that opens, under "Description"
select the server that you're using for your email address
--Then click on the Advanced tab in middle of page
10) Select the dot next to "Use default ports (25, 465, 587)
---- Or select "Use custom port:" and type in 587
11) To the right of “Authentication:” is a blue tab with arrows
12) Click on the blue tab and choose PASSWORD from the drop down list
13) Fill in your User Name:
(i.e. in the email address "email@example.com", "testy" is the user name)
Fill in your Password
***If you have more than one email account then there should be
only one outgoing server for each account.
Repeat steps #9 through #13 for each email account
14) Click on the OK button
15) Security Step: Please do this step to insure you didn't change the wrong port.
---- When back at the main Accounts window locate the tabs at the top right (Account information, Mailbox Behaviors, Advanced)
---- Click on the Advanced tab
------ Make sure the "Port:" is 110
------ There is NO check next to "Use SSL"
------ "Authentication" is "Password"
16) Stay on the Advanced tab to ENABLE SECURE INCOMING MAIL:
---- Under "Check with your system administrator..." and to the right of "Port:"
---- Check "Use SSL" (your Port number should be changed to 995.)
---- To ENABLE SECURE OUTGOING MAIL:
---- Click on the Account Information tab
---- Click on the Server Settings... button at the bottom of the window
---- In the dropdown menu select "Edit Server List..."
---- In the next window click on the Advanced tab in the middle of the page.
---- Under "Use custom port:" check "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)"
---- Click the OK button
17) TO HOLD A COPY OF MESSAGES ON THE MCN SERVER:
---- Stay on the Advanced tab
---- Check "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:"
---- Click on the field below it and choose the time period you want the copy to be held on the MCN server.
---- If you DON'T want to hold a copy of your mail on the server choose Right away.
---- If you DO want to hold a copy of your mail on the server Choose "After one day" (or one week or one month)
Close the ACCOUNTS window
If prompted ALWAYS save your changes.
You've done it. Great job!
Email Program Directory Page
or MCN Home Page