Apple Mail 10.3 and 10.4 Instructions for Changing the Settings re:
-- Outgoing Mail Server Port Number
--- Reference to each specific topic below is in the same color as the topic above. ---
-- Password Authentication
-- Leaving Copies of Mail on the Server
-- Secure Email
Open the Mail program (the blue postage stamp in the Dock toolbar)
2) In the top menu, next to the blue Apple, click on MAIL
3) In the dropdown menu click on PREFERENCES…
4) Click on the ACCOUNTS button
5) Click on the ACCOUNT INFORMATION tab
6) Look down to the bottom right of the window
Click on the SERVER SETTINGS… button
7) In the field to the right of “Outgoing Mail Server”
fill in: mail.mcn.org
Next to "Server port" change 25 to 587
8) After “Authentication:” to the right of the bar is a blue tab
9) Click on the blue tab and choose PASSWORD from the drop down list
10) Fill in your User Name: (the word before the @ sign in your email address)
Fill in your Password
11) Click on the OK button
12) Security Step: Please do this step to insure you didn't change the wrong port.
---- When back at the main Accounts window locate the tabs at the top right (Account information, Mailbox Behaviors, Advanced)
---- Click on the Advanced tab
------ Make sure the "Port:" is 110
------ There is NO check next to "Use SSL"
------ "Authentication" is "Password"
13) TO HOLD A COPY OF MESSAGES ON THE MCN SERVER:
14) Click on the Advanced tab
15) Check "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message:"
16) Click on the field below it and choose the time period you want the copy to be held on the MCN server.
17) If you don't want to hold a copy of your mail on the server choose Right away.
---- If you DO want to hold a copy of your mail on the server choose one of the other options (After one day, After one week or After one month)
18) Stay on the Advanced tab to ENABLE SECURE INCOMING MAIL:
Under "Check with your system administrator..." and to the right of "Port:"
Check "Use SSL" (your Port number should be changed to 995.)
To ENABLE SECURE OUTGOING MAIL:
Click on the Account Information tab
Click on the Server Settings... button at the bottom of the window
Under "Server port:" check "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)"
Leave the Server port number at 587
Click the OK button
Close the ACCOUNTS window
If prompted ALWAYS save your changes.
You've done it. Great job!
Email Program Directory Page
or MCN Home Page